Fun Facts About Silver Jewelry

Silver jewelry is one of the most popular and evergreen accessorial pieces all over the world. Perhaps it is due to its affordability or its fashion flexibility quotient. Nonetheless, more than gold or even platinum, silver jewelry has captured the attention of jewelry lovers for years.

But how much do we really know about the silver jewelry pieces that we wear? Let’s have a look at some of the fun facts and trivia about silver jewelry.

Silver is too fragile

Silver, in its pure form, is too fragile. In fact, you can mold pure silver with your fingers. Therefore, the silver jewelry that we wear is made up of 92.5% of silver and the rest 7.5% is composed of other metals like copper. Therefore, always ask your jeweler about the purity of the silver in your jewelry.

Sterling silver

Sterling silver is the alloy of silver that is used to make jewelry, in reference to the grade .925 silver. The term, itself, emerged in England during the early 13th century.

Oldest Silver Jewelry

So you think that wearing silver jewelry is a new trend? Think again! In the year of 2014, a group of archeologists unearthed a huge deposition of silver artifacts from Israel, which was believed to be at least 3200 years old. Among them, were five silver hoop earrings.

Silver was more precious than gold

Believe it nor not, silver jewelry was considered more precious and was coveted more than gold jewelry in ancient Egyptian civilization as well as in medieval Europe.

Silver is prone to tarnish

Unfortunately, silver, as a metal, and consequently, silver jewelry is extremely prone to corrosion and tarnish. In fact, if you leave your plain silver jewelry in the open for a long period of time, it is going to be tarnished beyond belief. To prevent this, jewelry makers and artifacts keepers cover the silver with a transparent lacquer.

Silver is associated with feminine qualities

Just like any other metal and precious stone, silver too has some historic associations and connotations. For instance, silver is associated with purity of spirit, calmness of mind, increased sense of focus and concentration, increased sense of awareness as well as feminine energy.

Platinum and silver

While copper is the most obvious metal choice when making sterling silver jewelry, adding platinum to silver makes it tougher, less prone to tarnish and corrosion, and, of course, more expensive.